I love cabbage rolls but not making it. I tried once before and it was a total failure. LoL! Since then I never tried making it again.
Not until my daughter mentioned a Japanese Style Cabbage roll that she saw from the manga that she was watching. Then out of curiosity, I started checking it on my phone what it’s like and I realize it was not that hard to make plus there’s no tomato sauce which is perfect for my family. They jut don’t like the sour taste of it.
So I tried making it but I modified it to our liking. I omitted some ingredients that I know my family won’t like and make a simpler version of it. I made use of a napa cabbage instead of the regular one because it is way easier peeling it off and rolling it. Saved me time.
This recipe I made is modified and simplified to our liking. You can do that too if you like.
First, if you’re making use of minute rice, you don’t need to soak it in water. I am not fond of it so I soak the rice in warm water for about 30-60 minutes. Brown rice takes longer to cook that’s why.
In a mixing bowl, add the ground meat ( both beef and pork ), chopped onions, dried/fresh parsley, rice and season it with salt and pepper. Give it a good mix. You may cook the onions beforehand if you like.
If yo’re using the regular cabbage, trim the thick vein from the end core of the leaf.
Bring a large pot of water to boil and add a pinch of salt. Add the cabbage leaves in the boiling water and let it cook for 1-3 minutes. Don’t overcook it.
Transfer the leaves to a colander to let the excess water drain then let it cool down.
Divide the filling to 10-15 and start filling the leaf with the meat and start rolling.
Place the rolled cabbage in a large deep frying pan with facing down.
Pour the chicken stock in the pan and allow it to boil to a medium heat. Once it boils, reduce the heat to low for 30-40 minutes.
Transfer the cabbage roll in a serving dish and pour the broth over. Garnish it with fresh parsley ( optional ) and serve hot!
Enjoy this simple dish. It’s not only delicious but filling.
Modified Japanese Cabbage Rolls
- 250 g ground pork lean
- 250 g ground beef lean
- 10-15 Cabbage/napa large
- 1 yellow onion medium
- 1-2 tsbp parsley fresh/dried
- 250 ml chicken stock low sodium
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 C brown/white rice pre-soaked
- 1. Soaked the rice in warm water for about 30-60 minutes. Brown rice are harder to cook than the white rice that's why I soaked it. You may also use minute rice if you don't have enough preparation time.2. In a mixing bowl, add both the ground meat, chopped onions, dried parsley and the rice.Mix them all together and season it with salt and pepper.3. If you're using the regular cabbage, trim the thick vein from the core end of the leaf. But it your using a napa cabbage you don't have to.4. Bring a large pot of water to boil with pinch of salt. Add the cabbage leaves to the pot and cook for 1-3 minutes. 5. Transfer the leaves to a colander to let the excess water drip and let it cool down.6. Divide the filling into 10-15 portions.7. Fill the leaf with the meat filling in the middle and start rolling. 8. Place the rolled cabbage in a deep frying pan with the end roll facing down.9. Pour the chicken stock in the pan and allow it to boil to a medium heat.10. Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 40 minutes. 11. Transfer the cabbage roll to serving plate and pour the broth over. Garnish with fresh parsley (optional ) then serve hot.
- You can use a regular cabbage or napa, I like using napa since it's easier to roll and it doesn't tear off easily.
- If you are not a fan of pork and beef, you can try using ground chicken or ground turkey.
- Make use of chicken cubes or powder if that's what is available to you.