Modified Japanese Cabbage Rolls
This modified Japanese style cabbage rolls is one of my family's favorite dinner. I never though that it was this yummy until I tried making it. I have adapted and modified it according to our liking.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 250 g ground pork lean
- 250 g ground beef lean
- 10-15 Cabbage/napa large
- 1 yellow onion medium
- 1-2 tsbp parsley fresh/dried
- 250 ml chicken stock low sodium
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 C brown/white rice pre-soaked
1. Soaked the rice in warm water for about 30-60 minutes. Brown rice are harder to cook than the white rice that's why I soaked it. You may also use minute rice if you don't have enough preparation time.2. In a mixing bowl, add both the ground meat, chopped onions, dried parsley and the rice.Mix them all together and season it with salt and pepper.3. If you're using the regular cabbage, trim the thick vein from the core end of the leaf. But it your using a napa cabbage you don't have to.4. Bring a large pot of water to boil with pinch of salt. Add the cabbage leaves to the pot and cook for 1-3 minutes. 5. Transfer the leaves to a colander to let the excess water drip and let it cool down.6. Divide the filling into 10-15 portions.7. Fill the leaf with the meat filling in the middle and start rolling. 8. Place the rolled cabbage in a deep frying pan with the end roll facing down.9. Pour the chicken stock in the pan and allow it to boil to a medium heat.10. Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 40 minutes. 11. Transfer the cabbage roll to serving plate and pour the broth over. Garnish with fresh parsley (optional ) then serve hot.
- You can use a regular cabbage or napa, I like using napa since it's easier to roll and it doesn't tear off easily.
- If you are not a fan of pork and beef, you can try using ground chicken or ground turkey.
- Make use of chicken cubes or powder if that's what is available to you.